Apparance is a procedural generation plug-in designed to allow the interactive visual authoring of detailed and expansive 3D worlds. A play-space for procedural logic and their use in the generation of environments and objects. A fusion of programming and modelling that gives extensive control over your applications procedural elements.
The Apparance project is inspired by the flexibility of non-linear and node-based editing systems used in film, television, and games. The amazing compression achieved by the demo-scene using mathematics and procedural generation points towards the vast possibilities of large scale procedurally built game worlds.
Already used to great effect in bringing the dungeons to life (see below...)
If these ambitions sound interesting to you, please read on...
Build Smart Objects
- Build smart procedural objects out of your assets.
- Drive placement of meshes, blueprints, components and their properties.
- Parameterise in any way you need to drive generation logic.
- Experiment with procedurally generation meshes too.
Add Variety, Save Time
- Increase variety in your game with unique generated assets
- Save time and resources populating the spaces in your world
- Build re-usable and modular objects
Fully Interactive Editing
- Enjoy fully interactive editing of parameters, graph structure, and all internal values.
- Scrub through the parameter space to find the results you are after.
- Rapidly test thousands of combinations as you work.
- Rapidly iterate on your designs, play with graph configuration, explore your parameter space.
- Drag-and-drop connections and procedures to experiment.
High Speed Run-time Generation
- Fully run-time multi-threaded background generation
- Mesh accumulation and instanced rendering support
- Allows for endless unique creations and experiences
Node Based Editor
- Use node based scripting to author your procedural logic.
- Create powerful hierarchies of procedures yet manage graph complexity by building up a library of re-usable parts.
- It's procedures all the way down until you reach a fundamental operator that does the work.
Apparance is being used to build the many dynamic dungeons needed for the digital adaptation of the Gloomhaven boardgame being developed by Flaming Fowl Studios. Gloomhaven has just reached version 1.0 full release available in on Steam after several years of development and Early Access.
Find out more on the Gallery Page.
Apparance has been used for numerous proof-of-concepts, trials, and experiments.
Apparance has been developed as a plugin for the following 3D engines:
Coming Soon to Unreal
Bring your procedural creations to life in Unreal Engine with the Apparance Unreal Plugin.
Coming to the Unreal Marketplace and other channels soon.
Unity Plugin Early Access
Find out more
- About Apparance - More details on what it can do for you
- Apparance Gallery - See the engine in action
- Documentation - Describes the plugin and editor in detail
- The Concepts - Principals and techniques used
- Apparance History - The journey so far
- Reach Out - to Apparance's creator to discuss in person