Welcome to the Apparance Alpha. Thankyou for joining in helping me improve and direct the development of the project. This page outlines what you can expect and what I'm hoping to achieve from this phase of the project.
The sections below show you some important information about the Alpha, and where to get started. For a full overview of the project visit the Apparance Website (now also in Alpha).
Have fun and let me know how you get on.
I have been squirrelling away on the project for ages and it's about time I got it out there for everyone to see. There were a lot of things I needed to achieve and technically prove before doing so however, but I think I am now at the point where I'm happy to release.
I'd like for you to think about the following goals for the Alpha:
- Initial thoughts - Am I crazy? Do you think it will work?
- Q/A - Intense discussion about the project.
- Direction - Thoughts on the direction to take the project.
- Smoke test - Does everything work well enough to release?
- Missing - What have I missed? What must it have?
- Blockers - Any blocking issues, bugs, crashes, confusion?
- Website - What do you think of the web-site?
- Documentation - What is still needed, or needs improving?
- Sign-off - What is needed before proceeding to Closed Beta?
For more information about the project plan, timeline, and progress have a look at the Releases Page online.
State Of Play
What we have so far is:
- A rendering engine (with procedural shader support, but without texturing/UVs)
- Scene graph for display of procedurally generated geometry at various detail levels
- Tools for building and interactively editing these procedures
Apparance is not game-ready yet, there are a number of important systems still needed to support a releasable game. These will be the focus of project over the coming months.
To run Apparance you need to be running Windows 8 or later (for DirectX 11 support). The more CPU speed/cores and system memory you have, the better the experience will be. As a bare minimum you need a dual-core machine with 512MB memory.
Apparance doesn't require an explicit installation process, just unzip the contents of the downloaded zip file into a sensible place on your machine to carry out the evaluation. Bear in mind that there will be future updates and it is best to keep them separate rather than unzipping one over the top of another.
Visit the Getting Started manual page for details on the contents of the download and how to proceed from there.
Contact & Feedback
There isn't a forum for discussing Apparance yet, and I'm open to suggestions about what form this would take and how best to set it up.
Terms & Conditions
A few of the usual bits and bobs. Please read and make sure you are happy to proceed.
- Please don't share your copy of the Apparance binaries.
- I've done my best to write good software, but it is not possible to guarantee it won't break in some interesting way.
- I'm happy for you to post/blog/tweet images/video/etc of Apparance in action.
- If you do, please make it clear it's an Alpha release, i.e. Work In Progress, or similar caveat.
The editor uses the Google Analytics service to track a few things:
- When the editor is started and stopped
- How long it takes to start
- Which version of the editor it is
- Which procedures are opened and viewed
- If it crashes
It also creates a random identifier which is sent to the Analytics service to allow tracking of unique users and associate sessions together. This is completely anonymous and can not be used to identify you (unless you share your ID explicitly).